Monday, August 10, 2015

CRW's Romance Writing Contest

I am entering Chesapeake Romance Writers' Rudy contest this year under the category of contemporary romance. It used to be called the "Finish the Damn Book" contest, in honor of the favorite saying of Judi McCoy, a late member of the group. Now the contest is named after Judi's beloved dog.

Besides contemporary, categories include erotic, historical, mainstream, paranormal, and young adult. Writers who belong to Romance Writers of America get a discount on the entry fee. First prize in each category receives $50. Final rounds are judged by editors and agents whose names are yet to be announced.

I have been told that writers' contest entries were down last year all over the U.S. Perhaps newer authors have turned to electronic self-publishing in lieu of trying to find an editor or agent through a contest. If you have other thoughts, be sure to let me know. I am curious.

For this contest writers submit their first chapter, last chapter, and a synopsis. Although I thought I had all three close to finished earlier this week, I found I labored meticulously on them right up to the point I submitted my work today. The extra incentive to polish up my words made entering the contest worthwhile. Hopefully it will help the novel shine when it lands someday on an editor's desk. In the meantime I will get valuable written feedback from the judges of the contest's first round.

I am not entering the 2016 contest, but writers who are interested may click here for more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment